The Ford's Theatre building was first constructed in 1833 as the First Baptist Church. In 1859, the structure was abandoned as a place of worship. John T. Ford, a theatre entrepreneur from Baltimore, leased the building in 1861. A church board member predicted a dire fate would fall anyone who turned the former house of worship into a theatre. In 1862, Ford renovated the theatre and performances began, setting in motion events to follow that would shake America to its core.
The Petersen House (The House Where Lincoln Died)
The Star Saloon
John Wilkes Booth entered the Star Saloon, located next to Fords Theatre, and had a drink of whiskey and water. Soon after, he entered the Theatre to assassinate the President. Built in 1863, the Star Saloon closed after the assassination. It was later used as a tailor shop, typewriter company and a factory before it was torn down in 1930.
Last updated: April 15, 2015