Permits for Filming & Photography

Filming Permits

You generally do not need a permit for your personal, noncommercial filming and photography activities within normal visitation areas and hours. However, filming outside normal visitation hours and all commercial filming will require a special permit.

Commercial filming means filming that involves digital or film recording by a person, business, or other entity for a market audience. This includes recordings such as those used for a documentary, television or feature film advertisement, or similar project.

Commercial media coverage of breaking news never requires a permit, but is subject to the restrictions and conditions necessary to protect park resources from unacceptable impacts.

Still Photography (whether commercial or noncommercial), in accordance with Public Law 106-206, will not require a permit unless it takes place at a location(s) where or when members of the public are generally not allowed, or it uses model(s) or prop(s) that are not a part of the location's natural or cultural resources or administrative facilities, or the National Park Service would need to provide management and oversight to prevent unacceptable impacts.

Please email us for more information.


Permit Fees

Performance bond and liability insurance requirements must be met, and all costs incurred by the National Park Service in writing the permit, monitoring, providing protection services, or otherwise supporting filming or photography activities will be reimbursed by the permittee as a condition of the permit. A location fee will also be required as a condition of the permit. The amount of the fee will be based on the fee schedule current at the time the permit is approved.

Neither the location fee nor the cost recovery charges may be waived.


Permit Information

If you're unsure if you need a permit for filming or any other special use, please feel free to contact our Special Park Uses and Commercial Services Office by phone at 631-687-4758 or via e-mail.

Our staff at this office can also provide guidance to help you complete the Commercial Filming Permit. Please email us to obtain a permit.

Special park uses including filming and photography activities will be allowed in parks provided the activities:

  • are appropriate to the purpose for which the park was established; and
  • are inspirational, educational, or healthful, and otherwise appropriate to the park environment; and
  • will foster an understanding of and appreciation for park resources and values, or will promote enjoyment through a direct association with, interaction with, or relation to park resources; and
  • can be sustained without causing unacceptable impacts to park resources or values.
Unacceptable impacts are impacts that individually, or cumulatively, would:
  • be inconsistent with the park's purpose or values, or
  • impede the attainment of a park's desired future conditions for natural and cultural resources as identified through the park's planning process, or
  • create an unsafe or unhealthful environment for visitors or employees, or
  • diminish opportunities for current or future generations to enjoy, learn about, or be inspired by park resources or values, or
  • unreasonably interfere with:
    • park programs or activities, or
    • an appropriate use, or
    • the atmosphere of peace and tranquility, or the natural soundscape maintained in wilderness and natural, historic, or commemorative locations within the park, or
    • National Park Service concessioner or contractor operations or services.

Last updated: November 26, 2018

Park footer

Contact Info

Mailing Address:

120 Laurel Street
Patchogue , NY 11772



Contact Us

Stay Connected