CONFEDERATE VIRGINIA TROOPS
J.D. Smith's Company, Virginia Light Artillery (Bedford Light Artillery)
Bedford Light Artillery completed its organization in January, 1861, at Liberty, Bedford County, Virginia, with men from the immediate area. The unit served in the Department of the Peninsula, then was assigned to S.D. Lee's, E.P. Alexander's, and F. Huger's Battalion of Artillery. It participated in many conflicts of the Army of Northern Virginia from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor except when it was detached with Longstreet at Knoxville. The battery was active in the Petersburg siege north of the James River and the Appomattox Campaign. It totalled 63 men in June, 1862, had 1 man killed at Fredericksburg, and of the 78 engaged at Gettysburg, twelve percent were disabled. On April 9, 1865, it surrendered with 5 officers and 61 men. Captains Tyler C. Jordan and John D. Smith were in command.
- View Battle Unit's Soldiers »