CONFEDERATE VIRGINIA TROOPS
G.B. Chapman's Company, Virginia Light Artillery (Monroe Battery)
Monroe Light Artillery was organized in April, 1862, with men from Amherst County.
The unit was active in the Kanawha Valley, then assigned to the Department of Western Virginia
participated in numerous conflicts including the actions at White Sulphur Springs and Lewisburg.
Later it was active in Early's Shenandoah Valley Campaign and disbanded in the spring of 1865.
In December, 1862, the company contained 3 officers and 116 men, and in April, 1864, there
were 4 officers and 125 men present. Its commander was Captain George B. Chapman.
- View Battle Unit's Soldiers »