26th Infantry Battalion was organized in May, 1862, with men of the 59th Regiment
Virginia Infantry who escaped capture at the Battle of Roanoke Island. It contained seven
companies, but was increased to nine in June, 1863. The unit was assigned to Echols' and
Patton's Brigade, and saw action in Tennessee, western Virginia, and the Shenandoah Valley.
During April, 1865, it disbanded. The field officers were Lieutenant Colonel George M. Edgar
and Major Richard Woodram.