4th Cavalry Regiment was organized with about 1,000 men during the late summer of 1861. Its
members were from Gonzales, San Antonio, Bonham, Austin, Livinston, Crockett, and Alto, and
Milam and Parker counties. The unit served in the Army of New Mexico, then was assigned to
Green's and Hardeman's Brigade, Trans-Mississippi Department. It saw action in numerous
conflicts in Louisiana and reported 28 casualties at Cox's Plantation and 6 at Bayou
Bourbeau. The unit was ordered to Hampstead, Texas, during the spring of 1865 and soon
disbanded. The field officers were Colonels William P. Hardeman and James Reily, Lieutenant
Colonels G. J. Hampton and William R. Scurry, and Majors Charles M. Mesueur and Henry W.