154th (Senior) Infantry Regiment was organized in 1842 as the 154th Tennessee Militia Regiment. Reorganized at Randolph, Shelby County, Tennessee, in May, 1861, it was permitted to retain its old number. The men were from the counties of Shelby, Henry, McNairy, Hardeman, and Fayette. It fought at Belmont, Shiloh, and Richmond before being assigned to P.Smith's, Vaughan's, and Palmer's Brigade, Army of Tennessee. During April, 1863, it was consolidated with the 13th Regiment. It participated in the difficult campaigns of the army from Murfreesboro to Atlanta, returned to Tennessee with Hood, and was active in North Carolina. This regiment contained 802 men in July, 1861, had 13 disabled at Belmont, and lost thirty-one percent of the 650 engaged at Shiloh. It reported forty-one percent casualties of the 245 at Murfreesboro, and the 13th/154th totalled 428 men and 263 arms in December, 1863. The unit was included in the surrender on April 26, 1865. Its commanders were Colonels Edward Fitzgerald, Michael Magevney, Jr., and Preston Smith; Lieutenant Colonels John W. Dawson and Marcus J. Wright; and Majors Jones Genette, John D. Martin, and Marsh M. Patrick.