CONFEDERATE SOUTH CAROLINA TROOPS
2nd Regiment, South Carolina Cavalry
2nd Cavalry Regiment was organized during the summer of 1862 by consolidating the 4th
South Carolina Cavalry Battalion and the Cavalry Battalion of Hampton's South Carolina Legion.
The unit served under the command of Generals Hampton, M.C. Butler, P.M.B. Young, and
Gary. It fought with the Army of Northern Virginia at Second Manassas, South Mountain, Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Brandy Station, Second Winchester, Upperville, Gettysburg, Bristoe, Mine Run, Todd's Tavern, The Wilderness, Ground
Squirrel Church, and Brooks' Church. In May, 1864, the Infantry Battalion of Hampton's South
Carolina Legion was mounted and united with the 2nd Cavalry. It was then redesignated the
Hampton South Carolina Cavalry Legion. After fighting at Cold Harbor, it participated in numerous
conflicts south and north of the James River and the Appomattox operations. This unit
contained 220 effectives at Brandy
Station, took 186 to Gettysburg, and surrendered 14 officers and 225 men. Its commanders were Colonels Matthew C.
Butler and Thomas J. Lipscomb, and Lieutenant Colonels W.K. Easley, Frank Hampton, and
Thomas E. Screven.
- View Battle Unit's Soldiers »