CONFEDERATE GEORGIA TROOPS
38th Regiment, Georgia Infantry
38th Infantry Regiment, organized near Decatur, Georiga, during the summer of 1861,
contained thirteen companies and 1,200 men. First called Wright's Legion, it served at Skidaway
Island and Savannah. In May, 1862, when it was ordered to Virginia, two companies were
detached and one transferred. The remaining ten were from the counties of De Kalb, Milton,
Emmanuel, Oglethorpe, Hart, Jefferson, Elbert, and Dawson. The 38th was assigned to
Lawton's, John B. Gordon's, and C.A. Evans' Brigade, Army of Northern Virginia. It fought in
many conflicts from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor, then moved with Early to the
Shenandoah Valley and was active around Appomattox. The unit lost 54 killed and
118 wounded at Gaines' Mill,
sixty-two percent of the 123 at Sharpsburg. In the fight at Fredericksburg there were 10 killed and 91
wounded, and of the 341 at Gettysburg, more than thirty-five percent
were disabled. It surrendered with 112, of which 73 were armed. The field officers were Colonels
George W. Lee, James D. Matthews, and Augustus R. Wright; Lieutenant Colonels Philip E.
Devant and Lewis J. Parr; and Majors Thomas H. Bomar and John Y. Flowers.
Chestatee Light Artillery was organized during the spring of 1863. Attached to the
Department of South Carolina, Georgia, and Florida, it served at Battery Bee near Charleston.
On May 5, 1864, the company was ordered to join the 38th Georgia Infantry Regiment serving in
the Army of Northern Virginia. Captain Thomas H. Bomar was in command.
- View Battle Unit's Soldiers »