26th Infantry Regiment [also called 13th Regiment] completed its organization in October,
1861, at Brunswick, Georgia. Its companies were recruited in the couties of Charlton, Berrien,
Glynn, Twiggs, Clinch, Ware, Coffee, and Wayne. After serving in the Department of Georgia at
St. Simons Island and Savannah, the unit moved to Virginia where it was brigaded under Generals
Lawton, John B. Gordon, and C.A. Evans. The 26th participated in the campaigns of the Army
of Northern Virginia from the Seven Days' Battles to Cold Harbor, fought with Early in the
Shenandoah Valley, and ended the war at Appomattox. This regiment came to
Virginia with 1,100 officers and men, lost 37 killed and 87 wounded at Second Manassas, and reported 6 killed, 49
wounded, and 6 missing at Sharpsburg. It had 53 casualties at Fredericksburg and 12 at Second Winchester. The unit was detached
from its brigade to support the artillery at Gettysburg and lost few casualties. On
April 9, 1865, it surrendered 85 men, of which 4 officers and 34 men were armed. The field
officers were Colonels Edmund N. Atkinson and Carey W. Styles; Lieutenant Colonels James S.
Blain, Eli S. Griffin, William A. Lane, and William A. McDonald; and Majors Thomas N. Gardner
and B.F. Grace.