CONFEDERATE GEORGIA TROOPS
16th Battalion, Georgia Cavalry (State Guards)
16th Cavalry Battalion was assembled in May, 1862, at Big Shanty, Georgia, and was
composed of six companies. It served in East Tennessee and Southwest Virginia and took part in
the engagements at Blue Springs,
Bean's Station, Cloyd's Mountain, and Marion. In January, 1865, the battalion
merged into the 13th Georgia Cavalry Regiment. Lieutenant Colonels F.M. Nix and Samuel J.
Winn, and Major Edward Y. Clarke were its commanding officers.
- View Battle Unit's Soldiers »