18th (Carroll's-Daly's-Crockett's) Infantry Regiment was assembled at Devall's Bluff, Arkansas,
during the summer of 1861. Some of its members were from Camden, De Witt, and Pine Bluff.
With about 1,000 men it moved to Fort Pillow, Tennessee and was decimated by disease.
Ordered to Corinth, where conditions were no better, many continued to suffer from sickness. Its
strength was down to 425 effectives at Iuka, and in the fight of Corinth it lost 12 killed, 34 wounded, and
82 missing. Later it was assigned to Beall's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East
Louisiana. In April, 1863, the unit was united with Power's 14th and Lyles' 23rd Arkansas
Regiments and in July was captured at Port Hudson. After being exchanged, it
was reorganized and mounted. Attached to General Dockery's Brigade, Trans-Mississippi
Department, the 18th fought at
Marks' Mills and Jenkins' Ferry, and later disbanded. Colonels D. W. Carroll, Robert H. Crockett, and John N. Daly;
Lieutenant Colonel W. N. Parish; and Major Samuel H. Sutherland were its