CONFEDERATE ARKANSAS TROOPS
17th Regiment, Arkansas Infantry (Griffith's)
17th (Rector's) Infantry Regiment was organized at Fort Smith, Arkansas, during the fall of
1861. Many of the men were raised in Sebastian, Hempstead, Yell, and Saline counties. The 17th
fought at Elkhorn Tavern, lost sixteen percent of the 109 engaged at Iuka, and reported 20
casualties at Corinth. It was
then placed in Beall's Brigade, Department of Mississippi and East Louisiana, and captured at Port Hudson on July 9, 1863. After
the exchange and its reorganization as mounted infantry, the unit was attached to General W.
Adams, Mabry's, and Ross' Brigade, Department of Alabama, Mississippi, and East Louisiana. In
April, 1864, it was consolidated with the 11th Arkansas Regiment and skirmished in several
actions in Louisiana and Mississippi. The unit was included in the surrender on May 4, 1865. Its
field officers were Colonels John Griffith and Frank A. Rector, Lieutenant Colonel Josephus
Dotson, and Majors B. P. Jeff and Walter H. Matheson.
- View Battle Unit's Soldiers »