44th Infantry Regiment was organized at Selma, Alabama, in May, 1862, and reached
Richmond, Virginia, on July 1. Its companies were raised in the counties of Lowndes, Dallas, De
Kalb, Shelby, Wilcox, Bibb, Randolph, and Calhoun. Assigned to General A.R. Wright's Brigade
the unit was greatly reduced because of camp diseases before its first action at Second Manassas. After fighting at Sharpsburg it was placed under the
command of General Law and fought with the Army of Northern Virginia from Fredericksburg to Cold Harbor, except when it was with
Longstreet at Suffolk, Chickamauga, and Knoxville. The 44th
was active in the long Petersburg
siege north of the James River, then participated in the Appomattox Campaign assigned to W.F.
Perry's command. The regiment lost twenty-two percent of the 130 at Second Manassas, seventy
percent of the 113 at Sharpsburg, and twenty-six of the 363 at Gettysburg. It reported 27 killed and 112
wounded at The Wilderness and
during the Petersburg siege, June 13-December 31, there were 17 killed and 44 wounded. The
unit surrendered with 17 officers and 192 men. Its commanders were Colonels Charles A. Derby,
James Kent, and William F. Perry; Lieutenant Colonel J.A. Jones; and Major George W. Cary.