CONFEDERATE ALABAMA TROOPS
8th Regiment, Alabama Infantry
8th Infantry Regiment, the first Confederate regiment to be enlisted for the war, was organized at Montgomery, Alabama, in May, 1861. Its members were recruited in Mobile, Perry, Dallas, Butler, and Coosa counties. Ordered to Virginia, it was assigned to the Department of the Peninsula, then served under Generals Pryor, Wilcox, Perrin, Sanders, and W.H. Forney, Army of Northern Virginia. The 8th took an active part in many campaigns from Williamsburg to Cold Harbor, was involved in the Petersburg siege south of the James River, and ended the war at Appomattox. During April, 1862, it contained 800 effectives, but lost forty-seven percent of the 350 engaged at Gaines' Mill and fifty-one percent of the 180 at Frayser's Farm. The unit reported 75 casualties during the Maryland Campaign, 56 at Chancellorsville, and more than 240 at Gettysburg. It surrendered with 16 officers and 153 men. The field officers were Colonels H.A. Hebert, Young L. Royston, and John A. Winston; Lieutenant Colonels John P. Emrich, J.W. Frazer, and Thomas E. Irby; and Major Duke Nall.
- View Battle Unit's Soldiers »