- Located in Santa Barbara County.
- Twenty miles from Ventura.
- Santa Cruz is California's largest island, almost three times the size of Manhattan. Approximately 24 miles long and up to six miles wide; 96 square miles; 62,000 acres; 77-mile shoreline.
- Average rainfall-20 inches. Temperature range-20° F to 100° F.
- Diablo Peak (Devil's Peak) is the tallest peak on the Channel Islands at 2,450 ft.
- Painted Cave is one of the largest known sea caves in the world.
- Santa Cruz has the greatest number of plant and animal species of all the Channel Islands, including over 60 endemic, or unique, species.
- The island scrub-jay is only found on Santa Cruz Island.
- In spring 2006 Santa Cruz Island was home to the first bald eagle chick to hatch unaided by humans on the Channel Islands in over 50 years.