What to Bring
- You may want to bring a light jacket or sweater as the year-round temperature in the cave is 56F (13C).
- Baby strollers are not permitted in the cave so a baby backpack may suit your needs if you need to carry your child.
- Canes and walking sticks are permitted only if medically necessary.
- Don't forget your camera! Flash photography in the cave is permitted, just be courteous of the person next to you when you use your flash. Tripods are permitted on self-guided tours but not on ranger-guided tours.
- Bottle plain water is fine to carry through the cave. Please no food, drinks, tobacco products (including e-cigarettes), gum, mints, candy or any product that could attract animals into the cave where they can't escape.
- Remember to put your cell phone on "airplane mode" or turn it off if you are taking it in the cave. Because there is no signal in the cave your phone will continuously look for a signal and the battery will run low.
- We will ask you if you've been in any cave in the past 10 years and if you wore the same shoes or carried the same camera equipment. If you answer "yes" we will need to wipe your items with disinfectant because of a deadly fungus known to bats called "White-nose Syndrome." We need your help to protect the health of the Brazilian free-tailed bats who call Carlsbad Caverns home six months out of the year.
- Don't forget to bring your adventurous curiosity and spirit of learning!