Brown v. Board of Education NHS is a place for all people. The site offers accessible picnicking, trails, and visitor center facilities.
- Reserved accessible parking is available in the rear parking lot; there are four designated spaces.
- There are curb cut-outs and ADA-compliant ramps to the main entrance of the site.
- The gallery room doors are wide with lever-handles.
- Four accessible picnic tables are available.
- There are benches in the hallway for seating.
- An elevator is available for access to the second floor.
- The nearby section of the Landon Trail is paved and wheelchair-accessible.
- Assistive listening devices for audio/visual exhibits are available from a ranger in the bookstore.
- Exhibit movies are displayed with open captioning at all times.
- Exhibit volume may be adjusted. Please ask a ranger for assistance.
- Sign language interpreters are available for special events. To request an American Sign Language
interpreter we must be given at least fourteen days advanced notice in order to guarantee that an interpreter will be available. To make a request please call Enimini Ekong, Chief of Interpretation, Education, and Cultural Resources, at 785-354-4273 or click here to email.
-Transcripts are available here or at the front desk.
- Coming soon: audio description of exhibit movies.
- Braille map of visitor center floor plan is available.
- A Braille brochure will soon be available on-site, but you can currently download a copy here in Braille Ready Format (BRF) 19.4kb.
- Coming soon: physical model of the building, head busts of important civil rights leaders, and large-print brochures.
- Service animals are welcome in the building.
- Be advised: The exhibit "Hall of Courage" displays historic footage from the civil rights movement on four large screens which you walk through to view, two screens on each side. The images are constantly changing with loud screaming and yelling.
Individuals who are deaf, hard-of-hearing, deaf/blind, or have speech disabilities may utilize the following Federal Relay Service numbers to contact the site:
(800) 877-8339 Federal Relay Service
(877) 877-6280 VCO
(877) 877-8982 Speech to Speech
(800) 845-6136 Spanish
(866) 893-8340 TeleBraille