Wildland Fire Quiz
This article is part of the Fire Basics for Kids series.
Fire Quiz—Did You Know?
- Warm, dry winds called chinook winds (pronounced shin-ook) occur on the eastem slopes of the Rocky Mountains and can help cause severe fire hazard conditions? These winds can blow more than 100 miles per hour.
- Temperatures of fuels such as wood found in an open field may be warmed to as much as 160℉ by the sun?
- Lightning is like a gigantic spark between a negatively charged lower cloud and the positively charged earth?
- A test fire is used before igniting a prescribed fire to determine the exact burning conditions and how the fire will behave?
- More than 4,000 years ago, Native Americans used fire to help with hunting?
- Some pine cones, called serotinous cones, rely on fire to help them open and release their seeds?
Last updated: January 4, 2017