Petersburg: Thomas Wallace House
The house was built in 1855 for Thomas Wallace, a prominent lawyer and merchant. It was built on South Market Street in Petersburg. The neighborhood was one of the upper class, fashionable neighborhood. Though the property has been drastically reduced, it retains some of its original features. This includes an early 20th century cast iron fence on the street fronts, granite curbing, and mature trees on the entryway. Two southern magnolias frame the front façade of the home.
It is significant because it served as a meeting place for General Grant and President Lincoln. On April 3, 1865, the day after Petersburg fell, they met to discuss the impending conclusion of the war and plans for Reconstruction. The house served as General Grant’s headquarters in Petersburg. It is on the front porch of the home that he learned of the fall of Richmond to Union forces.
The home is privately owned and not open to the public. It was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1975. It was also listed as a contributing resource of the South Market Street Historic District in 1992. An interpretive marker is located across from the house.