Annual Olompali State Park Bat Night
When: Saturday, August 5, 2016, 6:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m
Where: Olompali State Park near Novato, Marin County (Olompali State Park is three miles north of Novato. On Highway 101, take the Atherton/San Marin Drive exit and follow the signs north to the Old Redwood Highway frontage road that leads to the park.)
Cost: $8 per vehicle for parking – Additional donations are welcome
The popular evening of batty activities and live bats at Olompali State Historic Park returns. There will be bat snacks, bat mask decorating, bat houses and an opportunity to meet live bats from 6:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. From 8:00 p.m. to 9 p.m. NorCal Bats will make a presentation followed viewing of the bat colony emergence. Bring a flashlight and chair or blanket to sit on while observing bats. With any luck we’ll watch the flight of the bats at twilight. Come learn more about these unique animals!
Upcoming Park Academy Classes
- Drought Tolerant Native Plant Gardening - August 3, 9:30 – 12:30 pm
- John Muir Laws: Songbird Sketching - August 8, 12:30 – 2 pm
- One Tam Event: Wildlife Picture Index Workshop - August 10, 1 – 4 pm
- Freshwater Aquatic Plant Ecology - August 11, 1 – 4 pm
- Community Science: Bee Pinning Party - August 12, 9 am – 2 pm
- Botany Series: Advanced Plant Identification - Asteraceae Family - August 17, 1 – 4 pm
- One Tam Event: Wildlife Picture Index Workshop - August 17, 1 – 4 pm
- One Tam Event: Wildlife Picture Index Workshop - August 22, 1 – 4 pm
- Introduction to Garden Maintenance - August 24, 9:30 – 12:30 pm
Classes are free for NPS and Conservancy staff and volunteers. For more details or to register see their website.
Upcoming Field Institute Classes
The Point Reyes National Seashore Association's Field Institute has many classes coming up, including:
- A Sense of Place in your Watercolor Nature Journal - August 13, 9 am – 3 pm
- Shorebird Hike - August 14, 8:30 am – 3:30 pm
- Introduction to Bird Language - August 27, 8:30 am – 2:30 pm
- Drakes Estero Kayak Adventure - August 27, 9:30 am – 2:30 pm
Point Reyes staff can register for a class at no charge, contact the Field Institute at 415-663-1200 x307 for more details.