Jack Bangsund operated a commercial fishery business out of the Rock Harbor area. Bangsund was a squatter and never held title to any Isle Royale lands. A main residence, two sleeping cabins, and a log crib are all the structures that remain from the Bangsund era. Following his death in 1959, the National Park Service allowed Durward Allen and David Mech to use the property as a field work base camp. After Allen retired in 1975, the camp was reoccupied by Rolf Peterson to serve as headquarters for the wolf-moose project. Today, the Bangsund cottage remains an important structure in the park for its representation of Isle Royale commercial fishing and its association with the wolf-moose study.