How to Request an Accident Report

To request a motor vehicle accident ("crash") report for an incident you were involved in within the Washington, D.C., San Francisco, California, or New York City metropolitan areas, email us at e-mail us. For a copy of a report on any other police incident you were involved in, regardless of the jurisdiction, please email us at e-mail us.

Reports can be released as a “routine use” to any of the following entities or individuals, for the purpose of providing information on traffic accidents, personal injuries, or the loss or damage of property:

  • Individuals involved in such incidents;
  • Persons injured in such incidents;
  • Owners of property damaged, lost, or stolen in such incidents; and/or
  • These individuals’ duly verified insurance companies, personal representatives, administrators of estates, and/or attorneys.

*The release of information under these circumstances will only occur when it will not interfere with ongoing law enforcement proceedings; risk the health or safety of an individual; or reveal the identity of an information or witness that has received an explicit assurance of confidentiality (See DOI-10, Incident Management, Analysis and Reporting System 79 FR 31974 (June 3, 2014); Modification published 86 FR 50156 (September 7, 2021), Routine Use #16).

What Happens After You File Your Request?
The system manager will make a record available within 10-20 workdays after receipt of your request.

What If We Need Additional Details? When USPP cannot process your request due to the lack of necessary information, you may be contacted through the provided email and additional information will be requested.

Last updated: July 6, 2023