Employee Resources

The following resources are provided for current and former employees of the National Park Service. These resources can be accessed outside of the NPS network.

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

The EAP is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to all NPS employees for free and strictly confidential counseling (including video-enabled) and support on mental health, financial, professional, and personal management assistance.
  • 24/7 hotline for counseling and support: 800-869-0276
  • Fully confidential
  • https://care.espyr.com (use the password "interioreap" to sign in).

988 Suicide & Crisis Lifeline

The Suicide & Crisis Lifeline provides free and confidential emotional support to anyone experiencing suicidal thoughts, a substance use crisis, or any other kind of emotional distress.
  • 988lifeline.org
  • Call or text 988
  • Counselors are available 24/7
  • Fully confidential

Responder 911

This service provides access to a trained mental health professional who can assist any employee involved in a traumatic incident that occurs on-the-job. Available to anyone who has a mental health issue or question and would like some help and direction.
  • For all employees in NPS, FWS, and USPP
  • 888-918-3332
  • Support offered via phone
  • Fully confidential

United States Park Police (USPP) Peer Support Team

The USPP Peer Support Team provides one-on-one support to USPP LEOs who are experiencing stress or going through a crisis and would like to talk with a CISM-trained USPP LEO peer.
  • For USPP police officers only
  • 202-4437-1742
  • Fully confidential

IT Help Desk Support

If you need IT support and do not have network access:
  • You may need to contact your local IT service desk team by phone, email, or face-to-face, since one must be logged on to the NPS network to submit a ticket.
  • Consider asking a coworker to submit a ticket on your behalf—they can indicate in the ticket that it's for you, and not themselves.
  • 833-315-0394
  • npshelpdesk@mailer.itc.nps.gov

Government Travel Assistance

If you are on official government travel and need travel assistance.
  • ConcurGov
  • Travel_HelpDesk@ios.doi.gov
  • 866-367-1272 option 4 and then 3 for Duluth travel

Federal Employee Retirement System (FERS)

The Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS) is a three-tiered retirement plan consisting of the FERS Pension, Social Security Benefits, and the Thrift Savings Plan.

The FERS pension is a Defined Benefit Plan, which means you will be eligible for a pension from the Federal Government that will be based on years of service and salary history. Generally, you must work at least 5 years with the Federal Government and meet certain age requirements before you are eligible for a FERS federal pension. OPM FERS Information.

New employees who are eligible for the program are automatically enrolled and cannot opt out. You can request a retirement estimate or initiate your retirement through the OnTrac system or contact the Benefits Branch at 877-642-4743 for all Retirement Questions.

If you don't stay until retirement, then you eventually separate by termination or resignation.

After your separation has been completed, Human Resources will mail a copy of your final SF 50 to your address of record as well as documentation of your Health Insurance and Life Insurance if applicable.
  • Summary of Benefits Letter
    This is an overview of options for each applicable program.
  • Unemployment Benefits
    You may need an SF-8 along with your other supporting documentation in order to apply for unemployment through your state unemployment office. If you need the DOI NPS Fed ID code for unemployment purposes, it is 440.
  • Health Benefits
    If you have Health Benefits and are interested in continuing that coverage after you separate, you may be eligible for Temporary Continuation of Coverage. The Office of Personnel Management web page gives an overview of your options. You should submit a new SF 2809 to the Benefits Branch if you wish to continue health coverage.
  • Employee Express
    An employee has about 4 weeks from the date of separation to access Employee Express in a "VIEW ONLY" capacity. When the separation action is completed, the Mail Hard Copy LES Indicator and W2 Hard Copy Indicator both will change to "Yes".You should also make sure that we have an updated address of record in the personnel system. Your tax information will be sent to this address at the end of the year. You can update your address yourself through Employee Express, or submit a change of address to HR.
  • Personnel Records (eOPF)
    It is a good idea to make a copy or your eOPF prior to separation. This is the record of your federal employment history. If you need to provide proof in the future of things such as your retirement coverage, time in grade, employment for service computation, tenure, etc, then this will be the source. It is easier to get these records while you are still employed, because you must access it from your government computer.

Last updated: October 4, 2023