Headquarter's Visitor Center Switching to Winter Hours on Sept. 20th
Wrangell-St Elias's main visitor center, located near Copper Center, AK, will be switching to winter hours starting September 20th. The new hours of operation are Mon.-Fri. 9:00 am-4:00 pm and closed on Saturday and Sunday.
Since 1900, there has been extensive mineral exploration and development within the Wrangell-St. Elias / Chugach Mountains area. Numerous abandoned and inactive mineral properties are scattered throughout the park and preserve. Hazards exist at these sites. Visitors should use extreme caution and avoid abandoned mineral properties. Explosives, mine openings, unsafe structures and toxic chemicals may be present. Many inactive mineral sites are privately owned. Please check the land status before planning a trip.
If explosives, chemicals or mine openings are discovered, leave the site immediately and report the location to a park ranger.
Did You Know?
Danish explorer Vitus Bering, sailing for Russia in 1741, named the majestic St. Elias mountains, including towering Mt. St. Elias (18,008’), for St. Elias, on whose Feast Day (July 20) he made the sighting.