Headquarter's Visitor Center Switching to Winter Hours on Sept. 20th
Wrangell-St Elias's main visitor center, located near Copper Center, AK, will be switching to winter hours starting September 20th. The new hours of operation are Mon.-Fri. 9:00 am-4:00 pm and closed on Saturday and Sunday.
CONDUCTING RESEARCH IN WRANGELL-ST. ELIAS
Information that scientists gather can play an important role not only in how Wrangell-St. Elias National Park & Preserve is managed, but also in how we manage some of the greater issues that face our planet. Our current understanding of historical, biological, cultural, social, and physical resources has been gained through exploration and research conducted since the late nineteenth century.
INFORMATION FOR PROSPECTIVE RESEARCHERS
Suggested timeline for proposals:
An integrated compliance review process assesses the scientific integrity and appropriateness of research activities. The primary compliance requirements that must be addressed prior to project approval include:
PREPARING A PROPOSAL
1) Submit your proposal to the NPS Research and Permit and Reporting System. This site requires you to enter basic information regarding your project. You can cut and paste most material from your proposal into the form. Refer to the General Park Stipulations for Research Permits and be aware of the Curatorial Responsibilities of Researchers who undertake research in the park.
2) Key points to include in your application:
3) Links to additional information that might be useful in putting together your permit
· Integrated Resource Management Applications (IRMA)
· NPS GIS Data and Information Clearinghouse
4) Once you have submitted your proposal: the Research Coordinator at the park will contact you to clarify any details or alert you to problems that might arise. The coordinator will meet with the park compliance inter-disciplinary team (CIDT – this team generally meets the 2nd Thursday of every month) and shepherd your proposal through the evaluation process. The coordinator will provide you with updates periodically and is the person ultimately responsible for issuing your permit. In general, you can expect this process to take up to 3 months.
For more information, please contact:
Did You Know?
Two herds of bison, the largest land mammal in North America, roam Wrangell-St. Elias National Park & Preserve. A mature bull, at 6 feet in height and 10 feet in length, can weigh more than a ton.