Things To Do
Visitors should stop at the Visitor Center for a park brochure with information about the battle, the self-guided tour, and special events.
A 4.9 mile paved tour road provides a self-guided auto tour. There are eight interpretive stops at significant battle-related locations. There are five walking trails off the tour road, varying in length from 1/4 to 3/4 of a mile. A seven mile trail system for horseback riding and hiking is accessible from the tour road. A virtual tour of the battlefield may be seen by clicking here.
The Ray House, dating from the 1850s, served as a temporary field hospital for Southern soldiers following the battle. General Nathaniel Lyon's body was brought to the house and placed in a bed for examination. The bed is on exhibit in one of the rooms. The Ray House is open on weekends (subject to staff and volunteer availability), Memorial Day through Labor Day.
The anniversary of the battle is observed with a special program and ceremony on August 10.
Did You Know?
The Wilson's Creek Foundation, a local grass-roots organization, began the preservation of the battlefield by raising $1,600 and purchasing 37 acres of Bloody Hill in 1951.