HISTORIC JOHN RAY HOUSE CLOSED DURING ROOF REPLACEMENT
The Ray House will be closed for tours while a new cedar shake roof is installed. We regret the inconvenience, but the work is necessary for the preservation of the structure. The work is scheduled to begin July 7 and continue for three to four weeks.
HISTORIC JOHN RAY HOUSE
CLOSED DURING ROOF REPLACEMENT
Superintendent T. John Hillmer, Jr. announced that the historic John Ray House at Wilson's Creek National Battlefield will be closed for tours while a new cedar shake roof is installed. "We regret the inconvenience to visitors, but the work is necessary for the preservation of this unique structure," remarked Hillmer. "Tours of the house will be suspended while the roofing work takes place." The work is scheduled to begin July 7 and continue for two to three weeks.
Furthermore, the Edwards Cabin will be closed, for a new cedar shake roof, following the work on the Ray House. This project should last for one week, with all work being completed and structures open to the public again by the end of July.
PLANS FOR NEW VISITOR CENTER EXHIBITS PROCEED AT
WILSON'S CREEK NATIONAL BATTLEFIELD
An effort to design and install new exhibits at the Wilson's Creek National Batltefield Visitor Center is proceeding, according to Superintendent T. John Hillmer, Jr. The exhibit area has been prepared to receive new exhibit cases, including raising and filling the electric map viewing pit, sanding wall surfaces to accept graphic panels and replacing carpet sections.
"We are excited about the progress being made on this project and look forward to having the battlefield museum objects back on display," remarked Supt. Hillmer. Completion of the exhibit project is expected by October 31, 2014.
A CALL TO ACTION
A Call to Action offers tangible, concrete ways for us to work together to transform our organization to make sure that we are ready for a future that is, in so many ways, different from our past. It includes bold new ideas and expands on terrific ideas that are already field-tested.
A Call to Action also signals the start of a strategic integration of national parks and National Park Service community-based programs. This will increase our reach and better leverage our resources to invite the American people to learn more about our mission and join us in the stewardship of our nation's most incredible places.
Every park, every program, every employee, and every partner has a role in this Call to Action. For it to succeed, for the National Park Service to succeed, we need your creativity, innovation, and dedication to make these action items real in your park or your program.
In this watershed moment, like no other time in our history, we have an opportunity to reflect on, celebrate, and build on our accomplishments as we prepare to serve for a second century. Please answer the call. For more information, click here.
CIVIL WAR 150TH ANNIVERSARY EVENTS
For more information on Missouri 150th events, go to http://mocivilwar150.com.
Marker Dedicated Near Dug Springs Skirmish Site
On October 7, 2008, the Missouri Department of Natural Resources dedicated a new interpretive marker commemorating the August 2, 1861 skirmish at Dug Springs, near Clever, Missouri. Those present for the dedication included Larry Toll, professor of history at Evangel College and member of Phelps Camp, Sons of Union Veterans (Union soldier); Jim Denny, historian, Missouri Department of Natural Resources; Alison Dubbert, historian, Missouri Department of Natural Resources, and Robert Clanton, member of Phelps Camp, Sons of Union Veterans (Missouri State Guard soldier). The marker is along the Wire Road on the south side of the Clever Middle School.
Wilson's Creek National Battlefield
The Wilson's Creek National Battlefield Foundation and Wide Awake Films of Kansas City have produced a new 29-minute interpretive film about the August 1861 campaign. The film is currently being shown in the Visitor Center. An extended version is now available for purchase. Photos from the filming may be seen by clicking here.
Did You Know?
The Wilson's Creek Foundation, a local grass-roots organization, began the preservation of the battlefield by raising $1,600 and purchasing 37 acres of Bloody Hill in 1951.