The Visitor Center is located 11 miles north of Hot Springs off U.S. Hwy 385, about 1/2 mile west from the highway. Do not trust your GPS to find the visitor center you will get lost. Many GPS units locate the park visitor center north on State Road 87. The coordinates for the Visitor Center are N43 33' 22" W103 28' 38".
- At Rapid City, SD, exit onto U.S. Route 79 south.
- Follow Route 79 south approximately 50 miles to U.S. Route 385.
- Turn right onto U.S. Route 385 North, which will take you through Hot Springs. Follow U.S. Hwy 385 another 6 miles north and into Wind Cave National Park.
- Once you are in the park follow signs to the visitor center for cave tours and general park information.
From Rapid City via U.S. Hwy. 16:
- Follow U.S. Hwy. 16 south to U.S. Hwy. 385.
- Turn left to Hill City and follow US 385 South through Custer City. The park is about 20 miles south of Custer, SD off U.S. Hwy 385.
- The visitor center road is about 1 mile south of the junction of U.S. Hwy 385 and State Road 87.
- Follow U.S. Hwy 385 north through Hot Springs, SD to the park.
From Custer State Park:
- Follow State Road 36 to Hwy. 87, then south.
- These winding roads are slower than other routes, but provide scenic views of the Black Hills, Custer State Park and Wind Cave National Park.
No public transportation serves the park.
Nearest commerical airport is in Rapid City, SD.