• Wind Cave National Park - Two Worlds

    Wind Cave

    National Park South Dakota

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Trail Closure Information

    The Highland Creek Trail is closed. Backcountry Zones 1 and 2 are closed to all off-trail travel and use. The Sanctuary and Centennial Trails remain open to through traffic.

  • Temporary Road Closure Information

    Oct. 18 & 19: NPS 5 and 6 are closed for the entire weekend. Monday, Oct. 20, through Wednesday, Oct. 22, NPS 5 will be closed from Highway 87 to NPS 6. Highway 87 will be closed from Road 342 (Beaver Creek Road) north to the park boundary.

Prairies and Grasslands

Within Wind Cave National Park you can find an excellent example of a mixed grass prairie. A mixed grass prairie is an ecotone characterized by a mixture of the tall grass species of the eastern tall grass prairie and the short grass species of the western high plains. It is a meeting place, an area that is constantly changing. The dominance of the different types of grasses depends on the amount of moisture received in any given year. With abundant rainfall the tall grasses will dominate because they need more moisture. They are generally found in the valleys of the park. The short grasses are adapted to less moisture. These grasses are found on the dryer, south facing slopes of the park.

Of all of the flowering plants of the prairie, grasses are often overlooked. They are the main component of the prairie, making up about 80% of the biomass. Forbs constitute the other 20%.

Click on the links below to see other plants of the prairie:

Did You Know?

Sign used at Wind Cave in 1903 when the cave became a national park.

Wind Cave is the first cave in the world to be designated as a national park. That occurred on January 9, 1903.