Fee Waiver Instructions
Educational groups are always welcome to visit the park. Due to limited staff, we may not be able to provide a ranger guide for your visit.
Planning A Class Visit
Theodore Roosevelt National Park continues to improve the educational value of school visits and to provide quality service to your group. As spring visits to the park are especially popular and time slots are limited, we encourage you to schedule your visit as soon as possible. Please use the following guidelines when planning school trips.
- Park Rangers will be available on a first come - first served basis as staffing permits.
- For Fall 2012 & Spring 2013, the park will offer the following activities:
- Viewing the park film "Refuge of the American Spirit." (17 minutes)
- Self-guided interpretive program of the Maltese Cross Cabin. A ranger may be available as staffing permits - please call in advance. (15-20 minutes)
- Time for classes to tour the museum on their own (15-30 minutes)
- Interpretive nature walks in the park may be available with a ranger on a limited basis. Please call in advance. (3-4 hours)
- Educational visits to the park are most beneficial when they are related to curriculum and include some pre-work and follow-up activities. We encourage you to work with your students before and after their visit to get the most out of their time in the park. Discussing Theodore Roosevelt's time in the badlands, local geology, and native wildlife would all be appropriate topics.
- Academic Fee Waivers are available for educational groups. Your group must meet the established criteria explained in the Academic Fee Waiver Guidelines to qualify for an educational fee waiver. The Academic Fee Waiver request form must be submitted to the park by fax or mail at least three weeks prior to your planned visit. If you have questions about fee waivers, contact the Fees Manager directly at 701-623-4730 ext. 3426.
- If you have any questions regarding your visit or the availability of a ranger for guided programs, please call 701-623-4730 ext. 3417.
- If you plan to take your school group to the North Unit, please call 701-842-2333 to schedule your trip.
Spending time in the North Dakota badlands can be a life-changing experience. We look forward to sharing this special place with you and your students.