Monument Marathon Lane Closure September 27
The morning of Saturday, September 27, the east bound lane of Old Oregon Trail will be closed from 8AM until 1PM. The park is open normal hours of 8AM -5PM. To access the park please use the west bound lane. For more info http://www.monumentmarathon.com/ More »
Scotts Bluff is named after a fur trapper - Hiram Scott who had a fateful trip to the bluff in 1828. The legends of his life and death add to the many stories of Scotts Bluff.
William Henry Jackson, was a pioneer photographer and artist whose lifespan covered 99 years (1843 -1942). Jackson witnessesd and documented the westward expansion, American Indian life, and was one of the first to photograph Yellowstone. Scotts Bluff National Monument is proud to have the world's largest collection of his sketches, paintings, and photographs.
Did You Know?
The first white men to see Scotts Bluff were seven men from the Robert Stuart Party on Christmas Day 1812. The Stuart party was on their way from Astoria, OR to St. Louis, MO.