• American Camp parade ground looking west

    San Juan Island

    National Historical Park Washington

There are park alerts in effect.
show Alerts »
  • Park on Spring Schedule

    The American Camp visitor center is open 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Wednesday-Sunday. The English Camp contact station is closed through May 31. Grounds at both units are open from dawn to 11 p.m. More »

Bicycling Information

cyclists_redoubt_road
Cyclists pedal east on the Redoubt Road toward Mt Finlayson. The route crosses the park from the American Camp visitor center to Pickett's Lane providing one of the most spectacular vistas on the island. It is also the safest way to travel as it bypasses the blind turns on Cattle Point Road.
NPS Photo
 

Bicycling is one of most rewarding ways to see San Juan Island. Every year touring companies arrive and on the island's roads stream cyclists of varying levels of experience.

It is easy to be lulled into a false sense of security by the island's rural atmosphere. Don't be fooled. The main routes on San Juan Island (see map) are county roads with speed limits of 45 mph, except where posted. Bicycle lanes are limited, especially on Cattle Point Road, so riders should exercise extreme caution, especially when accompanying children. Please ride single file, well spaced in groups of three to four, and move completely off the road when stopped. Before exiting park access roads be sure to come to a complete stop and look both ways before entering the roadway.

 

Bicycle Rentals
Rental bikes provide a wonderful means of travel and sightseeing, without the hassle of transporting bikes from far away and risking damage from shipping. Island Bicycles--(360) 378-4941 or FAX (360) 378-4706--is the primary rental company on San Juan Island, specializing in bicycle rentals for self-directed touring and sight-seeing. Bikes are available by the hour, day, multi-day or week.

Did You Know?

West Valley Road on San Juan Island

Many of San Juan Island's roads trace sheep runs cut by Hudson's Bay Company workers. They were led, in part, by Fort Victoria Chief Factor and colonial Gov. James Douglas, from 1853 to 1859. Many of the workers were Cowichan Indians from Vancouver Island.