• Saugus Iron Works Panorama

    Saugus Iron Works

    National Historic Site Massachusetts

There are park alerts in effect.
hide Alerts »
  • Park Closed for the Season

    The park will be closed from Nov 1st, 2013 to Spring 2014. Visitor information is available online, via facebook.com/SaugusIronNPS or by calling the Salem Visitor Center at (978) 740-1650.

News Releases


Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS

March 03, 2014
Visitor Spending Benefits Local Communities
A new National Park Service (NPS) report shows that 767,649 visitors to Salem Maritime and Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site in 2012 spent $41.3 million in communities near the park. This visitor spending supported 559 jobs in the local area during the same period.

October 17, 2013
Park Reopens to the Public
Salem Maritime and Saugus Iron Works National Historic Sites reopened to the public today.

April 23, 2013
Park Completes First "State of the Park" Report
Scientists, technicians and Saugus Iron Works National Historic Site managers have taken a long look at natural, cultural and historic resources in their care and summarized their findings in a first-of-its kind “State of the Park” report.

Did You Know?

Painting by Don Trianti depicts the first National Guard muster that took place in late 1636/7. Civilian soldiers are in formation dressed in buff coats, helmets, and bandoliers. They drill with their muskets with smoke coming from the chimneys of their thatched-roof houses in the background.

On Thursday, January 10, 2013 President Obama signed into law HR1339 which designates Salem, Massachusetts as the birthplace of the National Guard. Future ironworks founder John Winthrop, Jr. was commissioned as Lieutenant Colonel of the East Regiment on March 9, 1636/7. The East Regiment included the communities of Salem, Saugus (changed to Lynn later in 1637), Ipswich, and Newbury.