Cell Phone Audio Tours
Use your phone as a portal to maritime history!
Listen to park rangers give two to three minute talks about the fantastic collection of historic ships, danger and adventure on the high seas, ship preservation, art and architecture, family life at sea, sailors and music, and much more.
Dial 415-294-6754 and enter the tour number and then # (pound sign). Tour numbers are listed below.
Stay connected during the entire tour, or hang up and call back. Your cell phone carrier will charge their usual rate for the minutes used in the 415 area code.
The Maritime Voices cell phone audio tour is located along Hyde Street Pier. There are eight stops along the pier. At each stop you can listen to a variety of two to three minute programs narrated by park rangers. Here are the program names and tour numbers.
Aquatic Park Stop
Eppleton Hall Stop
Alma and Small Craft Stop
To leave a comment press 0 and #.
The tour number and text for each tour is listed below as a PDF file. (The PDF file sizes range from 52 KB to 76KB and should not take long to load on your computer.)
1. Orientation: A Portal Into Maritime History
2. History Afloat
3. Houseboating: The Lewis Ark
4. Swimmers in the Bay
5. Art & Architecture in Aquatic Park: Form and Function
6. Creation of a National Park
7. Global Climate Change in the National Parks
8. Park Overview: From Sail to Steam, Bridging Oceans and Cultures
9. The Only Way Across the Bay
10. The Passenger Experience: A Culture of Its Own
11. Steam Juggernaut
12. A Story of Survival
13. Born Again: The Restoration of the C. A. Thayer
14. Good Wood: Preserving Ships and Forests
15. Sail, Steam, and Self Reliance
16. Survival of an Underdog
17. On the Inside
18. A Memorial to the Grand Age of Sail
19. Danger and Adventure on the High Seas
20. Charting a Musical Course Through Maritime History
21. Families At Sea
22. A World of Interconnection
23. The Last of Her Kind
24. The Good and the Bad: Life Aboard Hercules
25. Power and Danger
26. A Local Lifeline
27. More Alive Than Ever!
28. Significance of Small Craft