Commuter Permits (formerly known as Tri-County Waivers)

A number of years ago, Rocky Mountain National Park established the Commuter Permit to serve local area residents commuting over Trail Ridge Road for employment purposes. This waiver applies to any resident of Larimer, Grand or Boulder Counties residing within 50 miles of an entrance station that serves Trail Ridge Road.

The Commuter Permit is available for qualifying persons through an application. Residents of Larimer, Grand, or Boulder counties whose property is within 50 miles of the Beaver Meadows, Fall River, or Grand Lake Entrance Stations will be eligible to apply for a Commuter Permit that authorizes non-recreational travel over Trail Ridge Road. The trip must begin and end within the Grand, Boulder, and Larimer Counties.

Subject to eligibility, the Commuter Permit will be valid for three years from date of purchase for an administrative fee of $20. The Commuter Permit is valid only for non-recreational commuting over Trail Ridge Road and does not authorize recreational use in the park.

As an alternative to the Commuter Permit, seven day passes are still available for $20. Also, there are other annual and lifetime passes that can be purchased. The Rocky Annual Park Pass allows for unlimited access to the park including recreational use and automated pass lanes privileges at Beaver Meadows and Grand Lake Entrances.

Anyone requesting fee-free access through the park that does not have a Commuter Permit will be charged the $20 entrance fee. The entrance receipt may be used as payment towards the purchase of a Commuter Permit if the receipt is included with the Commuter Permit application.

The 7-day weekly receipt may be applied to the commuter permit, but must be done within two weeks of the expiration date.

Residents or landowners in the following areas in Boulder, Grand or Larimer Counties may apply for a Commuter Permit:

Allenspark, Gold Hill, Lousiville, Niwot, Ward, Boulder, Hygiene, Lyons, Peaceful Valley, Crisman, Jamestown, Marshall, Raymond, Eldora, Lafayette, Meeker Park, Riverside, Ferncliff, Longmont, Nederland, Superior

Fraser, Hot Sulphur Springs, Shadow Mountain, Gore Pass, Kremmling, Silver Creek, Granby, Muddy Pass, Snow Mountain Ranch, Grand Lake, Parshall, Tabernash, Winter Park

Bellvue, Fort Collins, Pinewood Springs, Berthoud, Glen Haven, Teds Place, Campion, Laporte, The Forks, Drake, Loveland, Timnath, Estes Park, Masonville

You must send proof of residency and/or land ownership with the application. Proof of residency and/or landownership must be per an official document (i.e. warranty deed, utility bill, etc.) and must bear your name.

Download a printable Commuter Permit Application. Permits once issued are valid for 3 years.

Mail or fax completed applications to:

Rocky Mountain National Park
Fee Program Assistant
1000 Highway 36
Estes Park, CO 80517 or 970-586-1352

To request an electronic application, please email us.

Once an application is received and approved, instructions will be e-mailed with payment options.

As an alternative to the Commuter Permit, Rocky Mountain National Park Annual Passes may be purchased for $40 which allows unlimited access to the park, including recreational activities, for one year. Rocky Mountain National Park Annual Pass holders may use the automated pass lanes at the Beaver Meadows and Grand Lake entrances


Did You Know?