• Gaines' Mill battlefield -- Watt House area

    Richmond

    National Battlefield Park Virginia

Richmond National Battlefield Park to Begin Road Improvement Project

Subscribe RSS Icon | What is RSS
Date: October 17, 2011
Contact: Elizabeth Paradis Stern, 804-226-5023

CORRECTION: The three-week road closure on Battlefield Park Road will begin on November 7. Detour signs will be posted.

RICHMOND, Va. - Beginning the week of October 17, Richmond National Battlefield Park will be working to improve more than eight miles of roads and parking areas throughout the park's battlefield units. The $2.2 million project will involve repaving and upgrading roadways that serve around 200,000 visitors to the park per year, as well as residential areas in Henrico and Hanover counties. A Richmond area contractor, Lane Construction, is slated to do the work, which will support more than 50 jobs in the region.

"Some of these roads were in extremely bad condition," said park superintendent David Ruth. "So the park is glad to begin work on this project, which we know will benefit our community and local residents, as well as the visitors who come every day to experience the battlefields."

Work will begin in the Fort Harrison area of southeastern Henrico County along Hoke-Brady and Battlefield Park roads. In most cases, road closures will not be required, although traffic may be narrowed to one lane as work proceeds in some areas. However, beginning on October 31, a short segment of Battlefield Park Road will need to be closed for several weeks for both reconstruction and repaving. Detour signs will be posted.

Other park areas to see road and parking improvements include the Cold Harbor tour road and the Gaines' Mill and Beaver Dam Creek units in Hanover County, the Malvern Hill unit in Henrico, and the Parker's Battery unit in Chesterfield. Updates about park areas impacted by the improvement work will be posted on the park's website: www.nps.gov/rich.

Did You Know?

Chimborazo Hospital during the Civil War

Between 1861 and 1865 Chimborazo Hospital treated approximately 75,000 patients, more than any other facility in either the North or South.