This steel-paneled Moderne style Signal Gas station opened in Portland, Oregon, in 1939. It’s nearly 40-year run dispensing gas and changing oil lasted until the late 1970s when the station was converted into a florist shop and its entire metal skin covered with plywood siding. In 2002, a new owner removed the plywood and found the metal siding largely intact. The original steel windows were repaired and its neon sign restored. The service bay was converted into a kitchen and service counter and the waiting area into a dining room. Antique gas pumps matching the originals were installed and the building’s original color scheme was restored. This $115,000 Federal Tax Credit project now serves up a slice of history with every slice of pizza!
Photo: Vintage Roadside