NPS bar for print

National Park Service U.S. Department of the Interior

Fort Reno

The Chapel at Fort Reno

El Reno, Oklahoma

Fort Reno was first established in 1874 to quiet unrest among American Indians in the region. The success of the camp led to a 9,493-acre permanent fort, which would assist in the Oklahoma Land Run of 1889. The fort housed Buffalo Soldiers and was a base for cavalry and infantry units from 1875-1907. In 1908, it specialized in breeding horses and pack mules for Army use, and during World War II a portion of the fort was used as a work camp for German prisoners of war. Fort Reno received a $296,303 Save America’s Treasures grant in 2004 to rehabilitate the chapel, hospital, officers' quarters, and officers' duplex. Thanks to this grant, the historic buildings are open for visitors to see this piece of Oklahoma history.

Photo: The Chapel at Fort Reno
– Courtesy Les Dart

Learn More