Crown Point, Oregon
The opening of the Columbia River Highway through the Columbia River Gorge marked the completion of a tremendous feat of highway construction. The highway was dedicated on June 6, 1916 at Crown Point, situated 725 feet above the river with a commanding view of the gorge. On that promontory in the same year, construction began on the Vista House, an observatory and rest stop. The structure was designed by Portland architect Edgar Lazarus executed in an early modern style, closely related to the German Jugendstil. Vista House was dedicated to early Oregon pioneers, and is currently maintained by Oregon State Parks Trust. A Save America’s Treasures grant supported restoration of the water-damaged interior lookout point.
Photo: Interior of Vista House