New York Harbor
Ellis Island was the most significant immigration station in the U.S., where over 12 million immigrants entered through the small island from 1892 to 1954. Only those arriving in New York Harbor as steerage or third class passengers were required to undergo inspection at Ellis Island. First and second class passengers underwent a cursory inspection aboard ship. The majority of immigrants were free to begin their new lives in America after only a few short hours on Ellis Island. Only two percent of the arriving immigrants were excluded from entry. The site, administered by the National Park Service, was restored through two Save America’s Treasures grants. A nearly $1.2 million grant in 1999 restored the Ferry Building, and a $500,000 grant in 2000 restored the laundry and hospital Outbuildings.
Photo: Ellis Island Hospital