Wright-Dunbar Village, named for the Wright Brothers and Paul Laurence Dunbar, developed as a Dayton streetcar suburb in the 50 years following the Civil War, and was annexed to the city of Dayton in 1869. It includes a residential neighborhood and the Wright-Dunbar Business Village, also known as the West Third Street Historic District. A $70,000 Preserve America grant will propel the neighborhood’s heritage tourism and, in turn, boost the area’s economy. After a complete economic analysis of Dayton’s cultural and historical tourism appeal, a marketing effort will draw aviation, literary, and history enthusiasts to the region.
Photo: Wright Brothers Memorial