In 1804, Andrew Jackson purchased a 425-acre tract of land and, for the next 15 years, Jackson lived with his wife, Rachel, in a cluster of log buildings on the property. In 1819 the Jacksons moved into the completed main house, a two-story Greek Revival brick mansion. After his presidency, Jackson lived here until his death in 1845. The outlying 200-year-old cabins, later occupied by slave families, were in fragile condition due to rot, weathering, and insects. A Save America's Treasure's grant from the National Park Service restored the cabins to create a more complete interpretation of the life of America’s seventh president and his household.
Photo: Front portico of the Greek Revival “Second Hermitage”
– The Hermitage