In 1897, T.B. Bright constructed a Jack Mule barn to house the many mules raised on his farm. Mr. Bright and his partner ran an extensive operation, and supplied mules to Pennsylvania coal mines on a regular basis. No longer in the mule breeding business, the farm has adapted several historic structures on the property for continued agricultural use including a corn crib, dry-laid stone springhouse, tobacco barn, board-and-batten equipment shed, and the mule barn. In addition, a 19th-century tenant house was rehabilitated as a bed and breakfast. Requiring only modest repairs, the nearly $47,000 project qualified for historic rehabilitation tax credits.
Photo: The 1897 Jack Mule barn after rehabilitation
– NPS file