As the only non-reservation Bureau of Indian Affairs school in Arizona, and one of the largest Indian Schools in the country, the Phoenix Indian School played an out-sized role in the emergence and maturation of the Federal Government’s policies toward the education of Native Americans in the 20th century. When the school was founded in 1891, physical and psychological trauma was widespread in the student population and expectations were low as the school concentrated on producing laborers and domestic workers. The Mission-Revival style Memorial Hall is the centerpiece of the Phoenix Indian School. A Save America’s Treasures grant helped restore the building.
Photo: Phoenix Indian School