Rowan Oak is a two-story frame, clapboard building with Greek Revival detailing constructed c. 1840 by Colonel Robert Shegog. Between 1930 and 1962, it was the home of William Faulkner, one of the giants of American literature. It was here that Faulkner composed most of the novels and short stories on which his literary reputation rests. The house received a $299,000 Save America’s Treasure grant in 2001 for preservation projects. Rowan Oak is now owned by the University of Mississippi and operated as a public museum.
Photo: Rowan Oak