The Kennebec Arsenal is the most intact early 19th-century munitions depot in the United States, one of a number built on the exposed frontiers following the War of 1812. The arsenal’s eight Greek and Gothic Revival granite buildings were constructed between 1828 and 1838 in a commanding location on the east bank of the Kennebec River. The size of this facility was directly related to the Northeast Boundary Controversy, a border dispute that lasted from 1820-1842 and almost led to a third war with Great Britain. A Save America’s Treasures grant was used to repair the granite retaining wall that stabilizes the site’s Kennebec River boundary.
Photo: Kennebec Arsenal on the Kennebec River