Cottonwood Falls, Kansas
Kansas had only been a state for 12 years when the citizens of Chase County voted to create this large and masterfully constructed courthouse in 1873. It is the oldest continuously operating courthouse in the State of Kansas and a local landmark. A $250,000 grant from the Save America’s Treasures program helped restore the structure in 2000 so that it could continue to serve the community as it always had. Designed by noted Kansas architect John G. Haskell of Lawrence, this Second Empire style building is constructed of native limestone. Wood was scarce when the prairie was settled in the mid-1800s, so abundant limestone deposits were exploited to create not only buildings but also bridges and even fences.
Photo: The majestic Chase County Courthouse
– NPS/Megan Brown