Buffalo, New York
36 Nash Street
The Reverend J. Edward Nash, Sr. House is historically significant for its association with the life and career of Buffalo’s most prominent African American leaders of the first half of the 20th century, J. Edward Nash, Sr. Reverend Nash, the son of freed slaves, came to Buffalo from Virginia in 1892 to serve as the pastor of the Michigan Street Baptist Church and remained in service for 61 years. Nash successfully gained access to Buffalo’s political and business leadership circles and forged relationship that were essential to the support of his community. He was instrumental in establishing Buffalo branches of the National Urban League and the NAACP. During a tour of the house in 1999, artifacts related to Reverend Nash were discovered much as he had left them just before his death in 1954. These artifacts are important components of what is now the restored Nash House Museum.
Photo: Reverend J. Edward Nash, Sr. House
– Courtesy New York Office of Parks, Recreation, and Historic Preservation by C. Ross