The boys' dormitory is the last remaining boarding-school-era building from the sprawling Dorchester Academy campus. It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1986 and declared a National Historic Landmark in 2006. The academy was founded by the American Missionary Association and began teaching African American youth in the late 1800s. Dorchester Academy became nationally important in 1956 when it began to develop the Citizenship Education Program, training the educators who would establish 897 citizenship schools throughout the South. The graduates of this program learned the importance of citizenship and education, and contributed directly to the Civil Rights Movement. The building currently houses the Dorchester Academy Museum of African American History.
Photo: Dorchester Academy Boys' Dormitory
– Courtesy Georgia Department of Natural Resources/Jeanne Cyriaque